Protecting data leakage for any organization has been primary concern in today’s world which has rapidly increased the need for DLP solutions in market. However, the term DLP itself is used in different ways by different vendors. We at NII help you demystify the jargon and select the apt DLP solution for your organization. At the same time, just procuring and implementing a DLP solution is not the complete answer. DLP solutions are highly involved technologies and have intense implementation cycles. So a successful DLP implementation requires the right planning, resourcing, configuration, management, and monitoring to help it really protect data leakage.
How does DLP work?
Following are the various methods how data leakage protection helps your organization to protect your valuable or sensitive information which is in transit, at rest or in use.
- DLP provides a robust solution to protect data in transit [network actions] by sniffing network traffic of emails, chat messages, etc to discover content being sent across the communication channel.
- It also provides a solution to protect data at rest by scanning storage area content like USB drives, hard drives, etc and discover content from it. It is also termed as Content Discovery.
- It also provides a solution to protect data in use [endpoint actions] i.e., it protects the data which is in use by the user for example if a user has connected USB drives to the computer.
Most DLP solutions do this in combinations of the following:
- Rule-based Regular Expressions
- Database Fingerprinting
- Exact File Matching
- Partial Document Matching
- Statistical Analysis
How we help?
Experts at NII will help organizations to evaluate risk of sensitive and confidential data and protect data by helping you select appropriate DLP solution on basis of:
- Identify all organization’s assets and find out the critical and sensitive information.
- Analyze and evaluate the risk of the critical and sensitive data.
- Evaluate data leakage avenues
- Decide how this data should be protected and these avenues need to be plugged.
- Recommend a cost effective DLP solution as per your requirement and our analysis
Typical challenges that you are likely to face when implementing a DLP are:
- User resistance – yet another solution from the IT team
- Over-optimism – this is it, it is going to solve all our security issues
- Under-estimation of the time and effort involved
- Lack of trained resources
- Absence of policy and procedure framework, i.e. an overdependence on technology
- Perception that ownership resides with IT
- Underestimation of the expense (TCO) involved
- False positives
- Ignoring the legal & regulatory framework
Our Partners NII has partnered with Gartner-quadrant visionary DLP solutions from Websense and McAfee.